Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What Forty Means To Me

So, here it is. Tomorrow I will be 40. That's right, the big 4-0. These last few months I've been contemplating this. I am not afraid. I am not sad. Really, when I really, REALLY think about it, the only reason I have any negative feelings surrounding this milestone, is because we're supposed to. "How do you feel?" "How are you handling it?" "Are you OK?" "Are you depressed?" So, after much thought, here's my final assessment. Bring it FORTY! Here is why...
 
From the ages o 28-34 I was pregnant and or nursing non-stop. Really, I could stop here, right??? As much as I love my kids, who in their right mind would want to go back to that???

At 40 I feel better than I ever have.
 
At 40 I am healthier than I've been since high school and have the resting heart rate of an athlete (hey, it's my birthday, I have bragging rights...and stay tuned, there will be more :))

At 40 I have 3 AMAZING kids who make me laugh and smile and work and cry and sometimes scream. I have a husband who, I can honestly say I love more than I did even 10 years ago. Thank the Lord that the man that I started dating when I was 19 and I have grown up together and melded as a couple and a team. He loves ME; fat, thin, nice, bitchy. And, he's the most amazing father there ever was. Ever. And really, who could ask for more?

Finally, at 40, I have a better understanding of who I am than I ever have. I am learning to take time for myself, to appreciate my blessings, to cry when I need, to fight for what I believe in and to reach out for help when I need it. I am learning to accept the body that has reared and nourished those three charmers and has lost 100 pounds, yet hasn't recovered as well as I'd hoped, despite my diligent efforts. This is all a work in progress but I'm hopeful that by the time I meet 50, I'll have it down :)

So forty, I welcome you. You may not know what to think of me at first but, I have no doubt we'll soon be great friends :)

1 comment:

  1. You are going to be one amazing 40 year old!! I so admire your attitude. I so hope that I can have that same attitude later in the year. Because you are older than me. I am proud and humbled and excited to have been your friend for the greater part of my life. LOVE you lots...you are going to show 40 who is boss!!!

    ReplyDelete